From 6 June 2022, cars will be able to circulate along the road “SS 163 Amalfitana” according to the number plate (even or odd).
The road includes the municipalities of Positano, Praiano, Conca dei Marini, Amalfi, Atrani, Ravello, Minori, Maiori, Cetara and Vietri sul Mare. There are no alternative ways to reach Amalfi by car.
The regulation is contained in the Anas ordinance 337/2019 which establishes a ban on transit from 10:00 to 18:00:
– on odd days of the month for cars with a number plate with the last odd number
– on even days of the month for cars with plates with the last even number
The limitations are foreseen:
- Saturday and Sunday
– from June 1 st 2023 to July 31st 2023 + June 2nd 2023
– from September 1st 2022 to September 31st 2022
- every day
– from August 1st 2023 to August 31st 2023
- throughout the Holy Week including Easter Monday
- every day from April 24th to May 2nd included
The transit ban does not apply to:
- residents in the 13 municipalities of the Amalfi Coast + Agerola
- vehicles for H badge holders as long as they are present on board
- taxi and n.c.c.
- emergency vehicles and police forces
Furthermore, with ordinance n. 28 of 06/07/2022, further exceptions were subsequently added:
- residents in the municipality of Agerola upon presentation of a valid identification document;
- guests of accommodation, provided with a regular reservation to be shown to the control bodies, limited to the movements necessary for arrival (check-in) and departure (check-out);
- employees, not resident on the Amalfi Coast, with a regular contract and working in public and private structures in the municipalities of the coast;
- owners of non-resident homes on the Amalfi Coast, with certification from the municipality where the dwelling is located.
The latter can obtain municipal authorization for vehicles registered in the name of one of the members of the homeowner’s family unit upon presentation of the following documentation:
– cadastral survey or IMU certification;
– self-certification attesting to being up to date with the payment of municipal taxes;
– self-certification of family status;
– copy of the vehicle registration document.
The municipality where the dwelling is located, after verifying the requirements, issues the same authorization mark for all the municipalities of the Amalfi Coast valid for transit on the entire S.S. 163.
Anyone is obliged to observe and enforce this ordinance, the legal effectiveness of which is subject to the positioning of suitable road signs.
The local police are in charge of the execution of the measure, subject to agreements with the other local police of the Amalfi Coast.
In summary, the guests of the accommodation, will simply have to show the reservation in case of control to justify the transit on the Amalfi Coast, limited to the movements necessary for arrival and departure.
Once arrived, tourists who decide to use the cars, will be subjected during their stay to the provisions of the ordinance.